Home Editor's Picks Nairobi City Hall Senior Officer Arrested For Demanding Ksh.100,000 Bribe
Editor's Picks - Local News - December 15, 2022

Nairobi City Hall Senior Officer Arrested For Demanding Ksh.100,000 Bribe

The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) has detained a senior sergeant assigned to the Nairobi City County government’s Environment Section on suspicion of soliciting a bribe amounting Ksh.100,000 on Tuesday, 13th December 2022.

Sergeant Joseph Kiplang’at Leitich, assigned to the department in charge of regulating waste dumping, is accused of extorting a complainant in order to avoid charging three complainant employees who had been arrested and were, according to him, due for arraignment before the City Court on waste dumping charges.

According to a reporter at the commission, the complainant’s employees were arrested on Saturday, 10th December 2022 and put in custody at Central Police Station. They were later released on the following day, Sunday, 11th December 2022 on a cash bail Ksh.5,000 each to appear before Nairobi City Court on Tuesday, 13th December 2022 to answer to charges of unlawful dumping of waste.

The Sergeant Officer is claimed to have requested a Ksh.100,000 payment from the complainant so as to order their release. The complainant rejected this notion and instead directed the employees to appear in City Court on Tuesday, December 13, as previously directed by the suspect.

The commission reported that neither the suspect nor any other City Hall enforcement officer appeared in court to meet with the three employees. The complainant returned to the County Government’s office to seek information about the incident in which the suspect insisted on receiving the bribe in order to end the matter he had allegedly brought against them.

After preliminary investigations, EACC verified the allegations and forthwith mounted an operation leading to the arrest of the suspect while receiving Ksh.30,000 as part of the bribe demanded.

Upon arrest, the suspect was escorted to Kilimani Police Station where he spent the night. He was today transferred to EACC Integrity Centre Police Station where he recorded a statement and was released on cash bail pending further processing in accordance with the law.

He is anticipated to be charged in court after reaching an agreement with the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions. Further, he will be suspended from work while awaiting his day in court.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

More Than 500 Dead After 7.8 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Turkey, Syria

A magnitude 7.8 earthquake with an epicentre in southeastern Turkey near the border of nor…